Sunday, September 5, 2010

The "Story Girl"

Since I was a little girl I have read and loved many of the author Lucy Maud Montgomery’s books. Her books are timeless, and her characters endearing. I own many of her titles. I had thought all but, after dedicating an entire day on Prince Edward Island to visiting as many Anne or L.M.Montgomery sites as possible, have learned otherwise. There are several books still needed to complete my collection. I believe them to be a collection worthy of keeping to read and re-read.

I used to want to be her. Even at the age of 8, the year I received my first typewriter, I would dedicate hours to writing. The Emily series were my absolute favourite. How Emily would take detailed, descriptive notes of her surroundings, and her relatives. It was the beginning of my need to always carry a notebook with me – a natural progression for any aspiring writer.

One of the things that drew me to her stories, and still does, is the time period. I love the 1800’s and early 1900’s simple, handmade way of life. Visiting these sites and getting to peek into that way of life made for an awesome afternoon. I believe that is what allowed my hubby to tolerate a full day of it as well! ;)

I will now bombard you with the details of this beautiful past that I loved the most!












The photographs were taken in Prince Edward Island at Green Gables in Cavendish, The Anne of Green Gables Museum at "Silver Bush" in Park Corner, and the Birthplace of Lucy Maud Montgomery in New London.

Links from the L.M.Montgomery Institute:
Her Life
Her Works


"In this world you've just got to hope for the best and prepare for the worst, and take whatever God sends."
~L.M.Montgomery

3 comments:

  1. Is there a chamber pot under the bed? Reminds me of my Grandma's house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite pretty for a chamber pot hey?
    It was ceramic, and painted with flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same as at Grandma's. They even made a not so nice item pretty in those days.

    ReplyDelete